Book your Regional Japan Rail Pass
- Economic and simple
- Unlimited travel
Order your Regional PassEdit
EAST TOHOKU AREA PASS
The JR East Tohoku Area Pass gives travelers access to JR East lines (limited express, local, and express) within the Tohoku Region, and the Shinkansen from Tokyo into northern Honshu, as well as some other private lines. This is valid for 5 consecutive days, from the start date of validity indicated at the time of the exchange.
Travelers can explore cultural highlights such as Nikko and Izu, as well as the cities of Sakudaira, Gala-Yuzawa, Fukushima, Yamagata, Shinjo, Sendai, Morioka, Akita, Hachinohe, and Shin-Aomori, an access point to the region of Hokkaido.
A children's price (6 to 11 years of age) is available as well. Access to trains is free for accompanied infants aged 5 years or under.
The JR East Tohoku Area Pass is an e-ticket. We do not send a physical document by mail. Your voucher can only be delivered to you by email once your reservation has been confirmed.
The Tohoku Region
Although often overlooked by travelers, the Tohoku region in the north of Honshu features chiseled coastlines and mountain ranges from Tokyo to Aomori, the main island's northernmost city. The largest city in the Tohoku region is Sendai, a cosmopolitan capital with plenty of charm. Not far from the city of Sendai is Matsushima, one of the "Three Views" of Japan, where travelers can admire the reflection of a pine tree forest in the clear crystal waters of the sea. The mountainous central region features plenty of hot springs and fantastic natural scenery.
As a day-trip from Tokyo, explore Nikko, with its temples and shrines surrounded by cedar trees, and stroll by its river and sacred bridge. In Karuizawa, there is plenty of shopping to be done while awaiting your train to Gala-Yuzawa ski resort.
There is so much to explore in the Tohoku region.
Conditions of the JR East Tohoku Pass
Your pass (e-voucher with QR code) will be delivered to the email used for booking 5 working days after your booking. It is important to check your spam mailbox in case you pass falls into it.
If you want it before as you will need to use it before 5 working days, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Those who do NOT have a Japanese passport are eligible: non-Japanese tourists or foreign residents in Japan.
- The MCO ("Miscellaneous Charges Order" - equivalent to a Japan Rail Pass voucher) is valid for exchange up to three months from the purchase date. Travelers must exchange the pass with a printed copy of their e-voucher within 3 months of the purchase date.
- To exchange the voucher for the pass you will need your passport.
- The start date of the pass can no longer be changed once the voucher has been exchanged.
JR Exchange Offices: Click here for a list of all Exchange Offices.
What is included with the pass?
This pass covers the following trains:
- Limited express trains connecting JR East Lines and Tobu Lines (Nikko, SPACIA Nikko, Kinugawa, and SPACIA Kinugawa trains). The pass can also be used to travel on local and rapid trains between Shimo-Imaichi and Tobu-Nikko/Kinugawa-Onsen on the Tobu Lines. Between Kurihashi and Shimo-Imaichi Stations, the pass can be used ONLY on limited express trains that make a direct connection with the Tobu Lines.
- The Tohoku Shinkansen between Tokyo and Aomori, the Akita Shinkansen between Tokyo and Akita, the Yamagata Shinkansen between Tokyo and Shinjo, the Joetsu Shinkansen between Tokyo and GALA-Yuzawa, and the Hokuriku Shinkansen between Tokyo and Sakudaira.
- The Resort Shirakami trains between Aomori and Akita, SL Banetsu Monogatari between Niigata and Aizu-Wakamatsu, and Kira-kira Uetsu between Niigata and Sakata.
What is excluded with the pass?
- The pass is not valid on the Tokaido Shinkansen, because this line is run by a different company than JR East.
- The pass is not valid on JR buses.
- With the Pass, no additional fee is required when reserving seats.
- It is possible to make reservations for Shinkansen and limited express on the JR East Website before arriving in Japan.
- Non-reserved Ordinary Class cars can be accessed freely.
- To access the platforms, show your pass to the JR East staff located at the platform gates.
- To reserve a seat, ask the JR East staff at the ticket office.
- It is a personal pass. Please always carry your passport when using the pass as station and train staff may check it.
- An unused voucher is refundable for one year from the date of issue.
- The voucher can be refunded if it has never been exchanged in Japan.
- A cancellation fee of 15% of the value of the voucher will be retained.
- No refund is possible for a voucher received by us more than one year from the date of issue.
- For lost e-tickets, please contact us for a new copy.