Book your Regional Japan Rail Pass
- Economic and simple
- Unlimited travel
Order your Regional PassEdit
The Hokkaido Rail Pass is a discounted pass that covers the entire island of Hokkaido, Japan's most northern island. From the southern tip of Naka-Oguni to Wakkanai as well as Hokkaido's main cities Sapporo and Hakodate.
The pass is only available to international tourists to Japan and offers unlimited access to JR Hokkaido lines, as well as some buses for 5, or 7 consecutive days. This pass offers great value for those who want to explore Hokkaido.
A child price (6 to 11 years of age) is available for this pass. Access to trains is free for accompanied infants aged 5 years or under.
The Hokkaido Region
Hokkaido, Japan's second-largest island, is famous for its unspoiled natural beauty. With numerous national parks, coastal plains, volcanic plateaus and unique wildlife, this region has a remarkable number of natural treasures.
With a different climate from the rest of Japan, Hokkaido has various activities and attractions depending on the season. During the cold winter months, visitors to the region can experience the famous Sapporo Snow Festival, go skiing or snowboarding at one of the many ski resorts or see the Japanese red-crowned cranes at Kushiro Marshland. In the summer, the region is less humid than other parts of Japan, ideal for those who enjoy outdoor activities, cycling, camping and hiking. Due to the cooler climate, this is the last region in Japan to see the cherry blossom, usually the first week of May.
Explore the north of Japan with a JR Hokkaido Pass and discover the region's cultural heritage, which is so different from Japan's main island.
The JRP Assistance service is offered to customers who have purchased a Japan Rail Pass on the Japan-Rail-Pass or the Japan Experience website. This service provides unlimited access to telephone assistance in Japan 7 days a week and from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. for any questions, advice or troubleshooting relating to your train journey in Japan. This service also allows you to get a full refund of your Japan Rail Pass, should you need to cancel your order.
Conditions of the JR Hokkaido Pass
- Only international tourists who have a temporary visitor entry status for Japan are eligible for this pass.
- Japanese passport holders can NOT use this pass.
- The voucher must be exchanged within a 3-month period from the date of issue.
- To exchange the voucher for the pass you will need your passport.
- The start date of the pass can no longer be changed once the pass has been exchanged.
JR Exchange Offices:
- Sapporo Station, JR Information Desk, daily from 8:30 am to 7 pm.
- New Chitose Airport Station, JR Information Desk, daily from 8:30 am to 7 pm.
- Twinkle Plaza Hakodate Station, daily from 10 am to 6 pm, closed on weekends and public holidays.
- Twinkle Plaza Asahikawa Station, daily from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm.
- Twinkle Plaza Obihiro Station, daily from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Twinkle Plaza Kushiro Station, daily from 10 am to 6 pm.
- Noboribetsu Station, ticket office daily from 7 am to 6:45 pm.
- Abashiri Station, ticket office daily from 5:50 am to 10:30 pm. Twinkle Plaza, weekdays from 9:30 am to 5 pm, closed on weekends and public holidays.
What is included and excluded with the JR Hokkaido Pass?
- All Limited Express, Rapid and local trains on JR Hokkaido lines
- JR Hokkaido buses within Sapporo
- JR Hokkaido Express buses between Sapporo-Otaru (Chuo buses are not included)
- Not included: buses between Sapporo-Asahikawa, Sapporo-Monbetsu, Sapporo-Hiroo, Sapporo-Kiroro, Sapporo-Obihiro, Sapporo-Erimo, Shin-Sapporo-Atsubetsu Stadium, JR Shiroishi Station-Sapporo Dome, and temporary buses.
- If you ride trains that overlap with the JR East lines, the boarding portion of the ticket will include the last station of the JR Hokkaido line which is Naka Oguni station, and the fare will cover the first (or last) stop on the JR Hokkaido line.
- There is an extra charge for sleeper trains and for the Twinkle buses.
- With the pass, no additional fee is required when reserving seats.
- Non-reserved Ordinary class cars can be accessed freely.
- You will need to purchase a ticket for both the express train and the reserved seat if you wish to board the Green Car.
- To access the platforms, show your pass to the JR Hokkaido staff located at the gate to the platform.
- To reserve a seat, ask the JR Hokkaido staff at the ticket office.
- It is a personal pass. Please always carry your passport when using the pass as station and train staff may check it.
- An unused voucher is refundable for one year from the date of issue.
- The voucher can be refunded if it has never been exchanged in Japan.
- A cancellation fee of 15% of the value of the pass, will be retained.
- No refund is possible for a voucher received by us more than one year from the date of issue.
- No refund is possible for a lost or stolen pass.