Kansai Thru Pass
- This Kyoto Nara Osaka 3-Day Transport Pass is known as the "Kansai Thru Pass".
- The Kansai Thru Pass will no longer be available starting from May 31, 2024. Do not purchase this pass if you plan to travel on or after that date. No refunds will be accepted for reasons such as having purchased by mistake without checking the expiration date.
Why buy Kyoto-Nara-Osaka Transportation pass?
- 3 days unlimited rides in Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kobe, Himeji, Koyasan, and more!
- Valid for all regional trains (excluding JR LInes), subways, and buses
- No need to wait in line for individual tickets.
- Use immediately (No need to exchange vouchers!)
- With benefits and discounts at around 260 different shops and attractions!
Where can I use my Kansai Thru Pass?
- Travel everywhere within the Kansai Region!
The "Kansai Thru Pass", can be used on most of railways of Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kobe, Koyasan, and Himeji areas including Kansai airport.
With this pass, users have access to around 80% of the whole transportation in the Kyoto, Osaka, Nara region.
The pass CANNOT be used on JR lines or the Shinkansen.
Example of useful transportation included with the pass:
- Kyoto station/ Kyoto city center <-> Kintetsu Nara station (closer station to Nara park than JR Nara station) - 50 minutes.
- All the buses and subway in Kyoto and Osaka.
- Kyoto city center <-> Osaka Umeda/Osaka city center - 45 min
- Osaka <-> Kobe city - 30 min
- Osaka <-> Koyasan - 2h30 min
- Osaka <-> Kansai Airport - 50 min
- Discounts available at attractions with the Kansai Thru Pass
You can receive special benefits at nearly 260 attractions including museums, hot spring spas, restaurants and cafes, amusement facilities, temples and shrines, and more throughout Kansai region. The popular Osaka Castle and many shrines in Nara also offer benefits!
For more details, please check FAQ "Where can I get additional benefits with the pass?" !
How do I buy/use my Kansai Thru Pass?
Purchase and delivery
Delivery to your home before leaving for Japan.
Delivery within 5 working days.
If you would like delivery to your hotel in Japan, this is possible on request by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). It is necessary to have your hotel reservation number and to be sure that your stay will take place within the next few days; to avoid any refusal of receipt by the hotel reception.
You can also buy and collect your Kansai Thru Pass directly from one of our branches (Paris, Madrid, London and Berlin), without booking it online first.
The Kansai Thru Pass will no longer be issued starting from May 31, 2024. Do not purchase if you plan to travel after that date. No refunds will be accepted for reasons such as having purchased by mistake without checking the expiration date.
Conditions of purchase / cancellation
Japanese residents are not eligible to purchase this pass.
There is a Kansai Thru Pass for children from 6 to 11 years old but Japan Experience does not sell it. The only alternative is to buy an adult Kansai Thru Pass for your children.
Once sent to the address you provided when you purchased it, if you decide not to use it, you can return it to us. We will refund 85% of the purchase price. Shipping costs cannot be refunded.
The Kansai Thru Pass can be used directly at the entrance gates of trains, subways or buses. No need to redeem a voucher/coupon beforehand.
The Kansai Thru Pass is undated and after the first postmark is valid for 3 days, consecutive or not. Each time the pass is cancelled for the first time, the same day is counted as used (1 day, not 24 hours).
Once the pass is used up, it cannot be reloaded like the Suica card. Therefore, for more than three days, you must purchase two or more passes and use them consecutively. You can buy up to 3 passes for one person.
The pass cannot be used on JR lines. Kansai Area Pass and Kansai Wide Area Pass would be more appropriate, even though JR lines do not form the majority of the rail lines in this region.
On Nankai and Kintetsu limited express trains and Keihan premium coaches, a surcharge must be paid on the train. On the other hand, there is no extra charge for Limited Express trains of other companies (Hankyu, Keihan...)
For trips to Koya San, the Kansai Thru Pass is more convenient than the Koya San World Heritage Pass. We explain you why in the "FAQ" section
For travel between Osaka and Kansai Airport (KIX), please refer to the same "FAQ" section below.